You are here
Ending Hunger Through Citizen Service
Be Part of the Anti-Hunger Movement!
The New York City Coalition Against Hunger (NYCCAH) is dedicated to helping build the movement to end hunger in America. We do this by promoting and implementing the most strategic practices that address the root causes of hunger, and engaging people of all ages and backgrounds in advocacy and long-term, strategic volunteerism.
While NYCCAH values all types of volunteerism, the Coalition is working to transform the way people think and act to end hunger in their communities and around the country. The truth is that relatively few pantries and kitchens need more untrained volunteers to perform manual food service tasks. What these agencies really need are dedicated long-term volunteers or professional and technical volunteers (e.g. experts in web design, grant writing, or accounting) who can help increase the organization’s capacity to meet client needs.
We also need more people who are actively engaged in advocacy and outreach efforts to ensure that everyone who is eligible for federal nutritional assistance programs, such as SNAP, WIC, and school meals, has access to these resources. And to speak up for more long-term solutions, such as living wage policies and more affordable healthy food in low-income communities. Write a letter, start a petition, make a call, join a rally, send a tweet – these are all ways you can volunteer to advance food security in our neighborhoods; they don’t take much time on your part, but have the potential to make the greatest impact.
This is what our Ending Hunger through Citizen Service Initiative is all about. We work to move people from accepting hunger to ending it; from perpetuating short-term charity to being active participants in a broad-based movement to ensure all people in the US have access to sufficient, affordable, nutritious, and convenient food.
Child hunger doesn’t take a summer vacation! And YOU can help!
We are currently recruiting volunteers to help spread the word about free Summer Meals for children in communities across the city. The Summer Meals program serves free, nutritious breakfasts and lunches to children 18 and younger in community locations – schools, parks, pools, libraries, and other community organizations.
· Volunteers will distribute flyers and other informational materials at community locations to let families know where meal sites are located in that neighborhood.
· Shifts will be 2-3 hours on weekdays during the mornings or afternoons when meals are served. We will post an activity calendar here and on www.hungervolunteer.org in the coming days; check back for updates.
· We invite individuals and groups of up to 10 for outreach activities.
· This summer we are doing concentrated outreach in Central Harlem, the South Bronx and the Far Rockaways. Other outreach locations may be added – stay tuned!
Volunteer must attend an orientation before signing up for outreach – there are two Volunteer Orientations next week: June 24 @ 4:30pm and June 25 @ 11am. Orientations will be held at NYCCAH’s office: 50 Broad St., suite 1520, in Manhattan. To help with our planning, you must RSVP for an orientation to attend.
If you are not available on these days, additional orientation dates will be added throughout July. Check back here for updates.
How to Sign-up as a Summer Meals Outreach Volunteer:
· Email your name, contact information, neighborhood of interest (Harlem, South Bronx, Ozone Park/Rockaways or other), general availability (days, and times), and preferred orientation date, to Danielle Stelluto at Dstelluto@nyccah.org using the subject title: “Summer Meals Volunteer.”
· We will follow up with you to confirm an orientation time, and share upcoming activity dates.
If you are interested in coordinating a group outreach activity, please contact Director of Strategic Volunteerism, Rebekah Gowler, at: email@example.com.
Want to be part of this movement? Here’s how:
- Visit www.hungervolunteer.org to learn more about the most effective ways volunteers can help fight hunger. There are resources for youth, adults, groups, businesses, and anti-hunger organizations.
- Set up an account on www.hungervolunteer.org to search for volunteer opportunities in NYC and around the country.
- Sign up to be a NYCCAH volunteer. If you are interested in volunteering directly with NYCCAH’s office or one of our programs, please complete this application form; someone will get back to you in a few days to let you know about available opportunities.
- Subscribe to our Volunteer Email List.
NYCCAH does not operate its own food pantry or soup kitchen. If you are an individual interested in helping with direct food or meal service at any point during the year, please visit our Hunger Maps feature to find a pantry or kitchen in your area and contact them directly to find out about their volunteer needs.
Are you a Corporate Group?
We are happy to partner with corporate groups, and assist you in planning service opportunities for your staff. To support our volunteer program, NYCCAH charges a small placement fee for this service. Please refer to our Corporate Groups FAQs for more information.
Interested in joining AmeriCorps VISTA?
If you are looking for a long-term opportunity to support anti-hunger work, that also serves as great professional development, you are welcome to apply to our Anti-Hunger Opportunity Corps, a national AmeriCorps VISTA program. You can find out more about the program and how to get involved by visiting their website.
Don’t have a lot of time to give? You can always Donate!
If you still have questions after reviewing this information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.