You are here
The MLK Serve-a-Thon
Since 2003, NYCCAH has commemorated Dr. King’s anti-poverty legacy with the "MLK Serve-a-Thon," a citywide volunteer event. NYCCAH recruits hundreds of volunteers willing to ‘take a day on, not a day off’ by donating their time and support to anti-hunger programs on MLK Weekend. The 2012 MLK Serve-a-Thon will take place on January 14th, 15th and 16th. There are still volunteer slots open, so if you would like to volunteer or learn more, please contact Valerie at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 825-0028 x221. If you'd like to make a donation in lieu of volunteering for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, please click here. To learn more about the Serve-a-Thon, watch the video below!
- ABC News Video Spot on the 2011 Serve-a-Thon
- Scientific American Spotlights MLK Community Food Assessment Project
- Time Out NY Plugs the Serve-a-Thon
- NYCCAH's 2010 Serve-a-Thon Highlighted by Serve.gov
- 2008 King Day of Service is Largest Ever
- NY1 News: "Hundreds Volunteer at MLK Serve-A-Thon"
- Park Slope Courier: "Serve-a-Thon fills big need"
- The Ticker: Baruch College "New Yorkers get a day on at Serve-a-Thon"
What People Are Saying...
- "I just wanted to let you know that our students had a WONDERFUL time volunteering this past weekend. They were all so touched by their interactions with the seniors that they're already asking about returning to see them! Please do let us know about future volunteer opportunities through NYCCAH." Sahar Muradi - Building with Books: Served at Citymeals-on-Wheels
- "Not only serving a purpose with my partner for the day, of which I have made a new friend, but also giving information to the public about the rights for food stamps, and that I am only English speaking, I know that in any language providing service can be understood in any language. Sharon Potts Holmes - Served at Bravo Supermarket
- "We here at the Metropolitan Center for Urban education and the students of the APEX Scholars Program thank you. It was an exciting and fun opportunity for our students and we definitely looks forward to volunteering with you and your organization in the future." Nathan Alexander - APEX Program Coordinator: Served at St. John's Bread & Life
- "I truly want to thank you for allowing the volunteers to come to our site to paint and clean. This was truly a blessing. Our facility looks a whole lot better thanks to your MLK projects and the volunteers that were able to spend their day off with us". Tynese Taylor - The New Open Door
- "On behalf of the management and staff of Volunteers of America, East New York - SRO, I would like to say thank you for providing us with volunteers. Please forward our gratitude and keep us on the list for future projects." Sharmin Prince - East New York SRO